Bishop Albert of Riga’s wish was to make Lihula the seat of the Saare-Lääne diocese. The Lihula Order Fortress was built by the bishop and the master of the order together in 1238-1242. The first church was built in Lihula around 1240. There were 5 shrines in Lihula druing the time of the bishop.
The old church of Lihula became unusable in 1874, mainly due to the poor quality of the local limestone and was demolished. The current neo-Gothic church was built between 1876 and 1878. The statues on the pulpit front, altar painting and dock derive from earlier church.