The first records of Mihkli church date back to 1359. Construction of the church probably began in the second half of the 13th century. The tower was built in 1780-1781. It is claimed that the first parish clergyman in Soontagana was the author of Henrik’s Livonian chronicles, Henrik himself, probably in 1227-1234. It is believed that Henrik lived there until old age.